Application for Call for Abstracts
For the Swiss Public Health Conference on "Strengthening the Culture of Public Health Surveillance"
3 - 4 September 2024, Fribourg
In the "infodemic" and "big data" age, access to diverse data has increased enormously, opening up new possibilities for surveillance. At the same time, Switzerland is struggling to define what is needed for a reliable and efficient health information system. How should we assess cancer burden or environmental risks? How do we monitor the quality of health care? What surveillance tools do we need and want? And what about governance?
Public health surveillance lies at the interface between applied public health, population-based health sciences, and epidemiology, and therefore concerns all actors who want to protect and promote the health of the Swiss population.
We would like to invite you to submit an abstract either for a 10-minute oral presentation at one of the parallel sessions, for a topical workshop or for a poster.
Topics for submission are related to the conference theme or any other research topic reflecting ongoing public health sciences and challenges in Switzerland.
Forms of Presentation
- Oral presentations
The length of an oral presentation is limited to 10 minutes, followed by a 5-minute discussion. Four to five talks will be presented at each parallel session.
- Workshops with topical focus
A workshop contains an introduction and may include 1-3 short content-related contributions. At least 20 minutes are to be allowed for the discussion. You may propose other formats such as a «World Café».
The selection of posters should reflect the great variety of public health topics in Switzerland. The posters will remain hanging throughout the conference and can be viewed during the breaks.
Guidelines for Submission of Abstracts
- The abstracts for poster, oral presentation or workshop may be submitted in German, French or English. The language of the abstract should reflect the language used for the presentation or the poster at the conference. The maximum length of the submitted text is 2,500 characters including spaces.
- Indicate to which topic your abstract fits best.
- In submitting an abstract, the author grants the organisers the right to publish the submission electronically or in printed form.
- A maximum of two abstracts per first author may be submitted.
- The organizing committee allocates the presentations (for talks or workshops).
- If the application for a workshop could not be considered, the applicant will be asked to hold an oral session. Respectively, if an application for an oral session could not be considered, the applicant will be asked to attend at a poster flash session.
- All presenters (including all speakers considered for a workshop) must register for the conference and pay the respective fees.
Please use the following link for the application on the website of our partner SSPH+: Call for Abstracts
The submission deadline for abstracts is 1 February 2024 (12pm CET).
Review and Selection
The conference organizing committee will review submitted abstracts. Where possible, qualifying abstracts will be assembled in thematic parallel sessions. For reasons of time and space, not all submissions may be considered.
The conference organizing committee will automatically assign an unaccepted workshop for a short input and an unaccepted short input for a poster.
The authors will be notified about acceptance and the presentation form by 31. May 2024.